Davis Reading Program for Young Learners
The Davis Young Learners program is a reading enrichment program for children ages 5-7 years. Built on the Davis Dyslexia Correction Program, Young Learners will provide your child with lifelong skills to ensure that learning for your child is enjoyable and they will develop early reading fluency and comprehension. Through active participation in the program, the parent gains the knowledge and tools needed to continue supporting the child’s learning at home. At least half or more of the program time will also include the parent or support person participating in helping the child with the new skills and techniques.
The Young Learners Program will develop:
- Self-regulation skills
- Energy and Stress Management
- Letter and Alphabet Mastery
- Introduction to the use common Punctuation Marks
- Introduce Reading Activities including: Spell Reading, Sweep-Sweep-Spell and Picture-at-Punctuation
- Mastery of non-picture words
Through the unique partnership and philosophy of the program, parents or other family members gain the skills needed to provide their child with ongoing quality support. Learning techniques and activities are keyed to the developmental level of your child, so your child will experience learning in a fun and playful setting. Through the active participation in the program, the parent will gain the skills needed to continue the Davis Methods to support their child at home with the follow up work. This 30 hour program is done over 10 half days.
The program goal is to give children aged 5-7 the best possible start at the outset of their learning career. Its aims are:
- to provide lifelong learning skills to younger children through a partnership between Facilitator, child and parent(s)
- to give one or both of the child’s parents, or a support person, sufficient confidence and skill to continue working with the Davis Young Learner’s Kit after the program
- to provide children with the conceptual skills needed to develop reading fluency and comprehension.
For more information on Getting Ready for School: Head Start Activities for the Home click here
Professional services described as Davis™, Davis Dyslexia Correction®, Davis Symbol Mastery®, Davis Orientation Counseling®, and Davis Math Mastery® may only be provided by persons who are employed by a licensed Davis Specialist, or who are trained and licensed as Davis Facilitators by Davis Dyslexia Association International.